THE FUHRER GIVES A CITY TO THE JEWS
Produced by the Ministry of Propaganda of the Third Reich
(23min, Germany, 1944)
The only film known to be made by the Nazis inside an operating concentration camp. Germany's Ministry of Propaganda produced this film about Theresienstadt, the "model" ghetto established by the Nazis in 1941 in Terezin, a garrison town in the former Czechoslovakia.
Joseph Goebbels intended to use the footage to prove to the International Red Cross and the world that Jews were being well-treated in the camps. The film, however, is an elaborately staged hoax presenting a completely false picture of camp life. Upon completion, the director and most of the cast of prisoners were shipped to Auschwitz. Only a few survived to attest to the falsity of the film.
Film Restoration by The National Center for Jewish Film
Study Guide and Background on the Film from NCJF
Precedes The Last Flight of Petr Ginz